Friday, June 5, 2009

Mental Notes: Meet my new hubby

I'm in love. After years of drooling, I finally got my hands on this baby: the Mark II 1Ds.
Sure, its old -- but it's handsome, strong and powerful -- just the way I like 'em.
For those who have no idea what all the fuss is about - this baby is a professional DSLR that shoots full frame at 5fps. It is resilient against the elements and can be relied upon when shooting under difficult lighting. It's a photojournalist's dream.
Before I got my hands on this baby, I was lugging around a pretty decent camera already: the Nikon D200.
As a Nikon user from the beginning of time, I do believe that comparing a Canon and a Nikon is like comparing apples and oranges. In terms of performance however, a pro series trumps a semi-pro by far.
Photographers know that it is possible to take decent pictures with a simple camera, and crappy ones with a good DSLR. Most of the work is really done by our brain, but it does help when you already have a good tool in your hands.
Thankfully I got to do a comparison of my trusty Nikon and the Mark II.
I borrowed a slightly more advanced model of the Mark II 1Ds, the Mark II N, and found that it really does make a world of difference.
The images are sharper, colors are more vibrant, and lighting is hardly an issue in contrast to my D200. Same subjects, same lighting conditions, different results.
Now I'm in love and I'm kissing my old Nikon goodbye.
The 1Ds is just slightly slower than the Mark II N -- which shoots up to 8.5 fps and has more advanced controls plus a bigger LCD. But it's still a very good, powerful camera. Hands down.
Excuse me while I drool some more.