Friday, August 14, 2009

Writer's Block: Bubbles

I fell in love with one of Rishab’s paintings many years ago. It was one of a man and woman intertwined, and reflected the elements earth, fire, water and air. It was gorgeous. Unfortunately I didn’t really have the capacity to buy it, and later learned it was bought by an Aboitiz.

Rishab, a Baguio-based artist, may not be as famous as BenCab but is still one of the best artists I know.

Baguio is blessed, being an artist’s haven. Many musicians, painters and other talented people live there.

I met Rishab through work and often viewed his paintings alongside other talented artists like Clemente Delim, Chi Balmaceda, and the late Santi Bose. But I have to say that of all of them, Rishab has always been my favorite for his ability to translate human emotion into his work — though his paintings are usually also surreal.

Unfortunately, each time I wanted a painting from him, it had already been sold. Fortunately Rishab is a friend, so he came up with an idea to make me a painting based on his series of paintings entitled, “Bubbles”.

I said yes, and it was better than what I expected.