Friday, June 24, 2011

Writer's Block: Pissbook

Like most everyone, I have a love-hate relationship with Facebook. I won't even bother explaining how I ended up joining in the first place.

The thing about Facebook is, it can get you out of mere curiosity but it's like the Hotel California -- you can check in anytime you want, but you can never leave.


Even when you disable your account, if you come back 6 months later -- all your information, including all those godawful photos people tag you in, re-appear when you log in again. I know because my husband tried doing that for a while.

Well just like most folks, there are just certain things that piss me off about Facebook. For me, forget the privacy issues. You share what you want to share, I say. If you chose to tell everybody where you live and that you won't be home for two weeks because you're off on a holiday -- hey, whatever makes you happy. Invite all the sleazy creatures of the underworld in the world to your home while you're away if you like.

What pisses me off aren't glitches -- such as being unable to disable tagging. There's no real way to stop people from tagging you in anything. You need to manually un-tag yourself from every single item you can think of, including some crappy low-res image of someone's breakfast that looks like moldy greenish alien eggs when in fact they were cinnamon rolls.

People can also add you to groups without your consent, and you find yourself trying to find the unsubscribe button on the groups page of "Let's make the Japanese feces burger into a staple" movement.

Why do I still stick around? Well if my friends and former colleagues from around the planet all took to LinkedIn, I'd would opt to leave -- and when I mean leave, I mean painstakingly deleting every single item on it before throwing away the key -- I would. God knows, there's always email. Until it does a Friendster or a MySpace, sadly I guess there's nothing left for me to do but rant and get on with it. There have been reports that people are losing interest in it...so there's still hope.

I prefer my friend Frank's suggestion -- create Enemyster -- a social network to rant about your enemies. Then maybe we can unfriend Facebook.